Intro to the Ukulele Utility Blog



Hi, my name is Jonathan, and I would like to welcome to the Ukulele Utility Blog!  This is blog about ukuleles and economics.   Here, I will discuss and review ukuleles while incorporating perspectives drawn from my economics and business background.  Once in a while, I may also throw in a review of a guitar, or some other cool gear that I think is worth talking about.  But the focus on Ukulele Utility Blog will be on ukuleles, an instrument that I have come to love over the years.

So why is this site called Ukulele Utility Blog?  “Utility” is an economist’s general measure of satisfaction from the consumption of goods or services.   Rational people do things because they capture utility from those actions.  Furthermore, rational people will attempt to maximize their own utility.  However, it is difficult to quantify utility, especially since, as the adage goes, “money cannot buy happiness.”  Since it is difficult to determine objective measures of utility, most economists just use a fictional unit for utility called the “util.” 

I have named this the Ukulele Utility Blog because, here, I analyze the utility that I have enjoyed from my ukuleles.  I will try my best to share information about ukuleles so that you may be well-informed and can maximize your own utility when purchasing ukuleles.  You may even pick up a thing or two about economics along the way.

0 comments: