Ukulele Utility Blog Review Philosophy



At its core, the field of economics is about choices.  People have to make choices because of scarcity.  In the case of UAS, there is a scarcity of money, meaning that (most) people do not have unlimited money.  And because we have limited amounts of disposable income to spend on ukuleles, we need to make choices such as whether to purchase the Kamaka Tenor, Kanilea Tenor, or KoAloha Tenor. 

In a perfect world, with perfect information about preferences (based on perfect information about the product), we would all make the decisions which maximize our economic utility.  This blog is here to help increase your pool of information and help you maximize your own utility from each ukulele purchase.

I have my own preferences and opinions.  For example, as suggested by the picture, I am a big KoAloha and Chuck fan.  After being fortunate enough to handle and to own so many instruments, I already know what features, tone, and feel I like in a ukulele, and what I don’t like.  You may not agree with all my assessments, and I’d love to hear your feedback and opinions on the products I review.  And while I do have my favorites, I avoid being “brand myopic,” and am open and fair to ukuleles from all brands.

I will always try to be honest in my reviews.  If there is something that I do not like in a ukulele, I will be upfront and tell you.  I am not here to mislead you, or to give glowing reviews, because incorrect information can lead to reduced utility, and that is the exact opposite of my mission to help maximize your ukulele utility.

My opinions as expressed in each individual post should be taken as my opinion in that snapshot in time.  My opinions are subject to change as time passes and as I have more experience with each ukulele.

Finally, I am not the end-all expert in ukuleles.  I’m a hobbyist, and playing the uke fills some of the time between my work, and pursuit of other passions.  I am not the world’s greatest ukulele player—not even close.  I do not know much about music theory or luthiery, and have not played every ukulele in the world.    There are many people out there with more ukulele wisdom than me, and I defer to them when they have the expertise that I lack.  Hopefully, despite these shortcomings, you can still take something from my ukulele reviews.

Thanks for visiting, and I hope you enjoy Ukulele Utility Blog!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog you have here!